Sunday, November 3, 2013


¡Hola!

Aw! I brought my camera today, but this computer won’t read my memory card... aw well... maybe I´ll get you some photos next week.

The mission experience is quite something. You end up meeting all sorts of people. It´s cool being in another sector in the same ward, because now I feel so much more familiar with the ward. We´ve worked a lot with less active members this week and several of them showed up at church :D
 
Something I learned this week is that the best and most meaningful experiences are usually preceded and contrasted by difficult times. I wasn´t feeling well when we entered into one house the other day (less active church members). We had given the mom a Book of Mormon the other day because she wanted to give it to a neighbor. We passed by this day to help teach her how to give it. For whatever reason, I felt dreary and confused inside. I had trouble focusing on what others were saying, and when I did understand the Spanish, I didn´t have a response.
 
We were originally going to practice with roleplaying, but it wasn´t working well. It´s not natural for a neighbor to just show up one day and say, "By the way, here´s the Book of Mormon, which might help you understand my religion. It´s a nice book." Ya... that´s a very uninviting way to do it. This is a problem that a lot of members have with doing missionary work; it feels forced, awkward, unnatural, and even rude. I was frustrated because I felt like I should have known this as a missionary, and I was blanking out with my mind going in every direction.

Just as I was on the point of giving up and just letting my companion handle everything, everything just got clear. All at once I remembered the scripture story of Ammon, who sought to serve King Lamoni and did so very sincerely, not bringing up religion until Lamoni wanted to talk about it. I thought of the video titled "I’ll Go Where You Want Me To Go" and how they helped in missionary work not by knocking on doors, but by being willing to serve people in unexpected ways. (See the short video here: http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/members-and-missionaries?cid=HPMO101413118&lang=eng 

Service is key to missionary work. When we serve others, we increase our charity and love for them. We share the gospel not because someone told us to, but because we love those we serve and know that the gospel of Jesus Christ will help them more than anything else. When we serve others out of genuine love and compassion for them, we look for ways to help them. It becomes natural and comfortable to share the gospel, especially when we have the Holy Spirit to help us.

I´m very grateful that Heavenly Father gave me this revelation just as we needed it, just as this family needed it.

I invite everyone to pray that you will recognize those opportunities that have already been placed before you and constantly seek ways to serve those you love. As Mad-Eye Moody would say "CONSTANT VIGILENCE!"

Love you all!
-Elder Connor Christopherson

BTW: To answer your question, I’ve had sinus problems for a few days at a time, every month or two. Nothing too bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment