Sunday, August 18, 2013


Note from Mom: There’s a mail strike in Chile, so for now, please email Connor instead of mailing postal letters. He has very limited time on a computer, but can print our emails and read them later. His email address is on the right side of this blog. Thank you!

¡Hola, todos!

First, I haven´t gotten letters yet, but I have gotten your emails from last week. I just printed all of them, but I haven´t gotten to read them yet, so I may not answer questions on the emails ´till next week, although I did read the bit about a mail strike in Chile. Good to know :)

Just like every week, there were ups and downs.

We had zone conference this week. There were four zones at this conference, and about 80-90 missionaries. Some missionaries had to travel a few hours to get here, but the conference was within walking distance of our house. There was a companionship that stayed the night in our house. One of those companions was from Idaho, who was also trained by my companion. Each of them joined a companionship when we went proselyting. We had a lot of unity. We taught 3 of the best lessons that I´ve ever been a part of. Each was special for its own reasons.

One was a lesson to a young woman that we had just met by knocking on her door. She felt such a powerful spirit during the lesson. When we were going to start with a prayer, my companion asked if there was anything specific that she wanted him to pray about. We could tell that that question really impacted her, because she started crying. She asked that we pray that her family can be protected. It´s amazing how such a simple question can help people open up to the spirit when the question is inspired and motivated by love and the sprit
The second lesson was with a recent convert (the one that was baptized on my first week here). Usually, we just teach her and her 12 year old son who was also baptized. This lesson was different. Her older son and his girlfriend started listening in, and then they started asking questions. Before long, the woman's husband also entered the room and started listening. What really made it special is that half the time, the recent convert was the one teaching. To me, it´s evidence of her true conversion that she is now working to teach her family with us about the gospel and the church.

The third lesson was with slowly progressing investigators. The husband is a member, but hasn´t been to church since he was 14, so he doesn´t remember much. We started talking about baptism and how Christ was baptized. What made it cool was that their 11 year old son got really excited and wants his dad to baptize him.

I had a moment this week when I felt really worthless, like I didn´t know how to do anything. I spent about a half hour in my room praying for comfort. The answer came quickly. I was calmed immensely by one sentence brought to my mind: "Be still, and know that I am God". He knows what I can handle. He knows me and he knows who I am. I also read the talk by Elder Holland in the April General Conference. I was particularly impacted when he talked about how, besides Jesus Christ, the only people that God has been able to work with are imperfect. "This must be terribly frustrating to him, but he deals with it." Why? Because He is our father. He loves us and everything he does is for us.

I´m so grateful to be a missionary. I love all of you very much. I think about my friends and family so much. I think about many more people from home than you might realize—people from the ward, from work, from high school and BYU. I miss you all, and I hope that all is going well for you.

Elder Connor Christopherson

No comments:

Post a Comment